Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hope, cure, persevere

One of my passions in life is being on the Relay for Life Committee for my City. Being on the comittee has been something near and dear to my heart ever since my mom was diagnosed with cancer my senior year of high school. I chose to become involved with Relay for Life as a way to show my mom that I was there for her and choosing to hope and fight with her instead of being upset about her diagnoses. The Relay committee became a sort of support group outlet for me because there were people on the committee who were caregivers like myself who understood the hardship of taking care of a cancer patient. When I wasn't running myself crazy with all my school activities I was taking care of my mom. My relationship with Relay for Life continued into my college years, and even now I am luminaria chair for OKC's relay which is June 27th and 28th 2008. I am about to give a presentation at Relay University in January on luminaria ceremonies and how they touch peoples lives with one of my friends and fellow committee members and I am so excited to be able to talk about something that has touched my heart so much. As one of my fellow relay committee members disclosed to me last night Relay is all about heart seeing those beautiful, smiling, survivors triumphantly taking that first lap and later in the night seeing the beautiful luminaria ceremony and realizing that all those beautiful, smiling, people have faced death eye to eye and come through triumphantly it really is a beautiful picture. I am so excited for Relay especially now that wedding planning is over and Relay can once again take center stage as the big event I am helping plan. Stay tuned for exciting details on what Relay is all about. Who knows maybe through someone reading this they will be excited to attend Relay for Life 2008 One World, One Dream Olympic Relay.

In other news it's church night which means I get to spend time with my Heavenly Father and recharge tonight. I honestly don't know what I would do without Wednesday night church for me it is a way to complete the rest of the week looking for the best in people and living for God.

No comments: