Monday, April 12, 2010

weekend recap

What a busy busy weekend.

Friday started off with a trip down memory lane as I attended my high school friend's mom's funeral and saw people I haven't seen since the summer I graduated high school. It was a a little awkard to go back to a town that hasn't changed in the years I've been out of school and I've changed so much such is life though. That evening Mr. A and I attended a wedding of a family friend.

Saturday my mother in law came over and surprised me with a trip to purchase flowers for our front and back yards. Mr. A and I had decided we weren't going to do much landscaping other than a few potted plants this year and we'd work on getting our flower beds in shape and ready for next year but my mother in law wouldn't hear of it and bought us our flowers she is so sweet and I seriously couldn't be more blessed with fantastic in laws.

So Mr. A spent saturday mowing the grass raking leaves up from the front yard that don't look like they've been raked in several years, and I went shopping with my mother in law and we got lots of pretty flowers for all the flower beds. She even talked me into trying a small herb garden. I've got rosemary, cilantro, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, and sage. I'm excited! I think I will just try the small herb garden this year and maybe next year I'll try my hand at veggies and fruits.

We decided since our mailbox needed replacing we would paint the ugly wood post it was hanging on before we did so we spent Sunday afternoon finishing up the flower bed prep and painting our mailbox post. Tonight we'll hang the new mailbox and plant all the flowers. I'll be sure and take pictures when it's all finished.

I love having a yard to make beautiful and thanks to my generous and wonderful in laws it will have pretty flowers this year instead of waiting a year.

But our weekend wasn't all fun we had our first "we're really homeowners" moment yesterday our downstairs shower is clogged so we'll be trying home remedies to fix the problem Tuesday probably and if that doesn't work we're calling in the experts. Ahh such is the joy of being homeowners. Oh well we still love it!!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh can't wait to see the finished projects! I just love planting spring flowers!

Alissa said...

Ooh I've always wanted an herb garden. You'll have to keep us updated on how it all turns out.

Mrs. S. said...

Oh, the joys of being a homeowner...not being able to call a landlord when you have problems! Haha! But the benefits of getting to plant your own flowers and paint your own walls, that really outweighs that!