Sunday, May 3, 2009

cakes, cakes and more cakes

Oy vey what a busy weekend I got a taste I think of what it would be like to own a bakery. I had agreed to do some sheet cakes for a friend's adorable twin girls b-day cake. It has a been a long weekend of baking but the end reaction of my friend jumping up and down when she saw the cakes and my cake for my final of Wilton course two turning out beatifully, It was worth it.

Also I got to meet Edward Fryes from The Food Network's cake challenge at a demonstration he did on how to create a boot cake it was so cool. I leave you with a few quotes I heard at the demonstrations that I liked and of course pictures :)

"cake decorating is the only job you'll ever do in which you can eat your mistakes"

"where else in life are people going to jump up and down, clap their hands and generally act like fools for you doing work?"

Here's pics.


This is me and Edward Fryes and that very heavy boot.

IMG_0441



My strawberry short cake character mounted on top of a 1/2 sheet cake.

IMG_0451

the 2nd of the 1/2 sheet cakes for the twin's b-day party.

IMG_0453

and finally my Wilton Course 2 Final cake.

IMG_0455

close up of the basket weave on the side of my cake this was very difficult for me to do I think I practiced it about 100 times before I felt confident putting it on my cake.

IMG_0458

I can't wait to get started on Course 3 on May 17th. In the meantime I've got to get to work on a few small Mother's Day cakes.



Later Alligators....

Mrs. A

PS I don't know why my pics are all crooked but if you click on the links it takes you to my flicker page where they aren't.

3 comments:

Michel-lee said...

Yeah, You've completed Course 2. I decided to take Course 4 and I start on Mother's Day. Hang in there. Your basketweave is just fine.

Mrs. S. said...

Wow! Your cakes look so pretty!! Congrats for getting through Course 2!

Molly Jean said...

Wow! All of these look so fabulous!

You must be much more patient than I am because your cakes kick my cakes butt! ;)